
Image from phillhillusa.wordpress.com. I do not know these babies.
It seemed like a stellar idea...3 months ago...when I signed Cade and I up for Parent/Tot swim lessons through Olathe Parks and Rec. What a fun thing we could do together?! Now it's more like, what the heck was I thinking?! I was all smiles and rainbows and Positive Polly about it until about 30 minutes before it was go-time. I started to mill it over and actually think realistically. First I just tried to give myself a pep-talk. Kinda prepare myself for what COULD happen. Cade is an active little fellow. There will probably be some really little babies in the class who just smile and splash and kick around and Cade may be quite wiggly and terrorize these little babies. I did not want to put my suit on. I am white and chubby and hairy and putting a suit on and fighting Cade in the water no longer seems like the best way for us to bond. But we went. And it went something like this.
The class is huge. Tons of kids and parents. I'm not the most pale or chubby parent in the class...and at least I also wasn't the mom wearing the string bikini. Really chick? There were a lot of dads doing the swimming while the moms photographed. Not the case here, people. I tried to be prepared and threw a snack in the bag for after swimming. Cade sees the snack right as it's time to begin and starts throwing a fit because he wants to eat the cheerios. Really, Cade? You NEVER eat, ever. But now you are starving?! So I pry the cheerio container from his hand while he screams and everyone looks at you like, hey didn't you feed this kid before the lesson? He was not stoked about the idea of getting in the water. It was a bit chilly. So he clings to me for dear life and continues to scream. Everyone looks at us with "please don't bring your crying kid near mine because I don't want mine to get worked up" looks and we attempt to adjust to the water temperature. Everyone is gliding on their bellies, kicking, and just having a good 'ol time while Cade continues to scream for the cheerios. He calms down a little but still isn't much into cooperating with the class. He also thinks it's hilarious to try to grab my swimming suit top and pull it down throughout the lesson. Awesome. I keep checking my watch like every other second. Time slowly ticks by. The teachers did a great job. The class was well-organized and very age appropriate. Cade just wasn't into it. At one point I thought he was turning the corner and enjoying it when he spotted a basketball goal on the side of the pool. "Shoot!" He kept saying. He wanted to shoot baskets. His dad would be so proud. I was so annoyed. During the "free time" at the last five minutes we picked out a ball from the toy basket. But I didn't dare go shoot baskets. I don't think we'd have a chance of keeping him interested in the lesson if he knew that shooting baskets actually was an option! We go again tonight. I'm thinking things could only get better?
No comments:
Post a Comment